Monday, May 7, 2012

Mother's Day Survival Guide

The past few days, my commute has been a silent one. Every time I turn on the radio, I'm bombarded with advertisements for Mother's Day. Ads for jewelry, ads for brunches, ads to "remember the special woman in your life." I'm beginning to feel like Scrooge.

So like any slightly deranged woman, I decided to do a Google search using some combination of the words "infertility," "Mother's Day" and "survival." The resulting links talked a lot about how painful this upcoming holiday can be for those living with infertility, but the advice for managing was pretty lack luster.

After a couple of days of this, followed by a moment where I almost rear-ended the vehicle in front of me due to a radio ad induced eye-roll, I decided I would create my own survival guide, posting the first draft here. Here's what I've got so far.

Mother's Day Survival Guide:
Let it out. I'm going to start here, since most survival guides list this one dead last. Look, infertility is hard. Very hard. So instead of suppressing the anger, sadness, frustration, worry, etc., do the one thing that so many well-meaning people will tell you not to do: just let it out. Give yourself a good 30-40 minutes to get the pain caused by this disease out of your system. Shed those tears, voice your worries, curse the universe. Write, exercise, scream. You get the idea. Because once you get it out, you'll feel better. You'll no longer have to worry about being sad the rest of the day because you've given yourself some time.

Acknowledge what you have accomplished. Living with infertility and loss is not for the weak. Anyone who's been on this path for any length of time has changed and will continue to be changed. Most of the time, this has only been for the better. You may have learned how to stand up for yourself, advocating your needs. Your marriage/relationship with your spouse, significant other, family and friends may have strengthened and deepened in ways you didn't know possible. You may have overcome your fear of needles. Whatever it may be, celebrate it. Take a moment or two to give yourself the acknowledgement you and your loved ones deserved for battling this disease. You've earned it.

Get out of the house. This one I can't stress enough. As tempting as it will be to spend the day in your pajamas watching bad TV, plan instead to spend the day doing some sort of activity. If seeing families is a trigger, plan a non-family friendly event. If being with family is a comfort, plan on spending some time. What ever it may be, get out of the house!

Celebrate the "mother" in your life. For those of you who have been reading this blog long enough, you'll know that my biological mother and I are not on friendly terms. That said, I do believe that Mother's Day is a time to celebrate those who have been "mothers" to you in some way. I also believe that one does not earn the title of "mother" simply by being able to birth a human being. There have been many amazing women in my life who have helped me become the person I am today. And I'm sure I'm not alone on this. So spend the day thanking your "mothers", be it spending time with them, shooting off a short email, or simply doing something that they taught you.

Distractions, distractions, distractions. I once read that an emotion lasts for about 10 minutes. The reason why people experience any emotion for longer periods is because they are "refiring" that emotion, be it with mental images or play inner dialogue. So like getting out of the house, find some way to distract yourself. Again, it's okay to be sad, frustrated, etc. But give yourself a break from all the madness too.

Treat yourself.  When all is said and done, Mother's Day is like any other holiday: sometimes just getting through is an accomplishment. So, at the end of the day, do something special. Take a bath, schedule a little "me" time, hog the covers. You get the picture. Reward yourself for making it through this day.

Finally, to all of you wonderful women: those dreaming of their children, those celebrating the news of a BFP, those awaiting results from treatment/a recent cycle, those mourning a loss/losses and those holding their children, either in their arms or in their hearts. May there be a moment in your reflections/celebrations this weekend of peace and hope. And may you all be wrapped in love.



16 comments:

  1. I had to leave Papyrus today while looking at cards because the emotions tied to Mothers day just overcame me. Your advice is good, and I will look to it for strength in the next few days. I hope you can too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, thank you! I agree that the "distract yourself" and "get out of the house" are lifesavers! I have felt so demotivated this week, but forced myself on a walk every evening (that's when the emotions are the hardest). It really works. Also I plan to skip church on Sunday. Church services on Mother's day are unbearable sometimes and I don't think I could handle it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful survival guide! I know how hard this holiday can be. I will be thinking of every one of my dear blogger friends this sunday, including you my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even buying cards for our mothers felt bittersweet this year. Somehow, last year I didn't mind, but this year it stung. The building stress of the journey, I guess.

    This is a wonderful survival guide. I especially love "get out of the house." This is something I try to do whenever I'm feeling down. It's distracting, but also being in public makes me act like I'm okay, and sometimes that makes me feel okay. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My silly computer. I just wrote out a comment saying how much I love and appreciate this post, and then I lost it.

    I was trying to say, thank you. Buying mother's day cards stung this year in an unexpected way. It surprised me, although, maybe it shouldn't have. I think your advice is all spot on, and I especially love "get out of the house." I try to do this whenever I feel like I'm sliding towards a melt down, because it's distracting and because it makes me pretend to be okay. Sometimes pretending to be okay, makes me feel okay. At least for a while.

    I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post with awesome advice. I'm treating myself to a trip to the beach for Mother's Day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this Cristy, I have been struggling with Mother's Day this year and plan to write about it, but these tips are helpful. I'll be thinking of you this Sunday and sending all that love right back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful list! I feel a little guilty for even posting on this since I am suffering from secondary infertility. My wish for all of us is to have our silver linning in the end. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful survival guide, Cristy. I really REALLY appreciate the reminder to have something planned outside the house. I tend to be a hermit on distressing days.

    I think I will avoid all retail stores, though. Last year I got a "Happy Mother's Day" from a greeter when there were zero signs I was a mother other than my age. Really, greeter? Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good ideas. I know I'll still be dreading this Sunday but hopefully I can find some place to go that isn't full of children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Thanks for sharing! <3 to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this. Mother's Day has been especially hard the last two years, and I'm sure I'll be putting this advice to good use! I hope you'll take care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All good ideas. It's good to have a reminder to help deal with what could be a very stressful day. This is actually the first year that I am dreading it. I can get through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post! Last year's Mother's Day didn't really bother me but somehow it's getting to me this year. I guess it just gets harder and harder the longer you've been on this difficult journey. Pamper yourself this weekend and I'll be thinking of you this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post. Thanks for taking the time to write and share this.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved