Monday, June 15, 2015

#MicroblogMondays - First kiss

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

I was 15 yrs old when I received my first kiss. Or at least that "first kiss" coming-of-age dramas glorify. Despite the fact that the situation involved two teenagers who were extremely awkward in their moves, there was an innocence that existed in the moment. My first kiss with Grey held that innocence too and to this day I can't walk by the bar where this incident happened without blushing a little.

For the past month, He-Beat has been giving kisses. Usually in the evening, during preparations for bed, we'll have a moment where he'll get a sleepy look on his face, close his eyes and lean into my face with his tongue half sticking out. It's a bit of a sloppy experience, but one that is filled with so much innocence and sweetness that one can't help cherishing it. This behavior he's been displaying with both me and She-Beat (poor Grey desperately wants to be a part of this too), but She-Beat hasn't shown much interest in returning the favor. Something that none of us have pushed (well, maybe He-Beat), but I've still been watching for.

Saturday evening, the Beats and I went a get-together at our friends' house. Grey had been feeling under the weather so was unable to join us, but made me promise to get pictures as the mention of a sprinkler promised toddler hijinks. Following introductions to new families and a light dinner, the sprinkler was turned on and a kiddie pool filled. Toddlers were stripped and adults circled the perimeter to walk.

He-Beat could not contain his excitement. Despite the water being chilly, he was in the thick of the madness, helping his new friend fill pails that were immediately dumped and running through the sprinkler. She-Beat was a bit more timid, instead watching from a distance and testing the water continually making it clear it wasn't at a temp to her liking.

As I sat watching them, She-Beat came over to me and demanded I spread my legs so she could place herself in between them. A safe haven she's claimed as her own. Leaning over absent-mindedly, I wrapped my arms around her as I watched her brother. Preparing myself to bolt if he got into anything that required intervention. 

It was during that hug that I instinctively kissed her cheek. Immediately she turned her head and pressed her lips against my cheek, making a distinct smacking sound. Smiling, she turned back to watching her brother, settling into her space while I gazed in disbelief at her, trying to process what had happened. A moment that was so quick and yet forever engrained in my being.

14 comments:

  1. My eyes welled up here... So sweet. Give that little dolly a kiss from Moonbeam and I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww how sweet. Little kids have no idea how such little things mean the world to their parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh this is such a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the sweetest thing I've envisioned in a long time. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so adorable! Such a wonderful moment to share with She-Beat. AJ has been showing little signs of deliberate affection and it's just....words fail. It's so wonderful to see the love that the little ones have to give. I am glad you have moments like this after the stress of last week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe! Beautifully told story and one to cherish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely moment! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first kiss! My heart just smiled. I wish I could remember their first kisses. It was very young for the Wolvog, later for the ChickieNob. But I don't remember where I was. This is special that you caught it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun memory to have written down :) I don't remember the first kisses my kids gave me. This makes me wish I'd have written it down as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet. Love that you have the memory recorded. I now wish I could remember when Caleb started giving kisses, but now giving kisses is just who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kisses are the BEST coming from your kids. I've always been very kissy and affectionate with Cooper, so he started the kisses early, but boy are they great. I am so happy your little gal went in on her own accord - that is far sweeter than having to ask.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved