Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Breakup

This morning, I gave notice at the Beats's daycare. The director and I had already scheduled a meeting the previous week to follow up on the assessments, but everything had gotten extremely bad since the initial assessments were sent in. It was clear that the director's goal was to reprimand me for my outburst on Monday, schooling me on proper communication. She left the meeting expressing shock over the complete failure of communication from her staff, both to us but supposedly to her and was visibly upset when I told her about the Beats actively expressing they didn't like school.

My phone conversation with Grey helped me remember that it's always a warning sign when people who supposedly have a track record tell you that your situation is something they've never dealt with before. I first experienced this as a young adult when my landlord misplaced my rent check and called demanding a replacement. When I informed him the check cancelation fee was coming out of my rent, he threatened me with eviction and informed me that he had never heard of such a practice before (I would find out later he regularly did this and was on the city's slumlord watch list). We went through this again with Cyrol, with his insistence that no one ever had a problem with him. More recently with our last landlord when she informed us she had never had a conflict with tenants (even though she had previously confessed to the contrary). Sadly, this is more of the same. The difference is we also have documentation from an outside source supporting otherwise.

As of today, a clock is ticking for transition. Yesterday I signed application forms and put down a deposit for a new preschool. Plans are already moving forward with the new institutions. In addition, I have agreed to be respectful, emphasizing that I need the same in return (which hasn't been happening). But that's the thing about breakups: no one really leaves the situation happy and the goal with terminating the relationship is to do so in a way that is least destructive. Considering the Beats are on the line, it's even more important.

3 comments:

  1. It's so hard when the offender's strategy it to assert that they've never offended, especially when it's clear that they have.

    Let me know if you want to vent this weekend. I'm around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transition time is tough. And I totally agree that any time a professional acts like what you're saying is the first time they've heard it, something is not right. Hope the new preschool is a wonderful place and sending thoughts for strength as you're finishing out this last with the old school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful. There's no way a daycare director has never had a situation like that before...and your other examples are similarly shady. What a crappy defense mechanism, but it's good you can see through it for what it is and move on. I hope you can move to the next daycare without further conflict. I'm so hoping for a smooth transition.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved